Jasen Asay, Salt Lake City Fire Spokesperson, said the professional cleaner was taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Asay also added that the man is expected to be fine and also stated he didn’t know exactly what fumes were reported.
All he knew was that several people reported smelling the chemicals throughout the mall. Although shoppers did not experience any adverse effects from the accidental fumigation, workers shut down parts of the mall.
Furthermore, the crew also shut down Temple Square next to City Creek Mall. The press indicated that this incident happened by accident. However, they also mention that a similar, more severe incident like this took place at the LDS Temple Square just a month earlier.
In August, 10 people were sent to the hospital after toxic fumes infiltrated the Temp Square, and 50 others were treated on site. In this case, Asay knew what substances the janitor accidentally combined -- bleach with sulfur to create thionyl chloride. This mixture quickly traveled through air vents and it caused nausea, coughing, shortness of breath and other symptoms.
Like the incident that occurred yesterday, this prior accident called for HAZMAT safety teams to take care of the situation. Likewise, the Temple Square was also closed down in after the former chemical accident and people evacuated the premises.